How can Home-Start help?
- Friendly support through difficult times for as long as is helpful or needed
- Flexibility – you decide with your volunteer when visits will happen and how you spend the time
- Understanding – Home-Start volunteers are parents too! Some may have been supported by Home-Start themselves, or wish they could have been.
- Reassurance – all parents sometimes feel overwhelmed, you are not alone
- A listening ear and a shoulder to cry on, if needed!
- An extra pair of hands – coping with more than one child may make getting out and about tricky, a Home-Start volunteer could provide the help and support you need
- Confidentiality – information about you and your family is never disclosed to anyone outside of Home-Start (except where a child may be at risk)
- Choice – families choose whether or not to accept Home-Start support. A volunteer will only visit at the invitation of the family.
Who can Home-Start help?
In short, any family who is experiencing difficulties, can ask Home-Start for help.
- Lonely or isolated parents
- Families with twins or several pre-school children
- Families where there is ill health
- Families where there is disability / special needs
- Families who have suffered bereavement
- Mums who have post-natal depression
- Mums who need support with breastfeeding
- Families who are new to the area
- Families from all backgrounds
- Lone parents
What happens next?
- Initially, a co-ordinator will come out to meet you, and answer any questions you may have over a cup of tea.
- They will then arrange to contact you after a few days to see how you feel about Home-Start support.
- If you decide to go ahead, they will come to see you again, to complete the paperwork necessary to process your referral.
- After a few visits, you will be introduced to a volunteer, and, if you hit it off, begin to receive weekly visits.
- The co-ordinator will still keep in touch, and we will always be available if you need us.
Who will know that Home-Start is supporting me?
The only people who will know are you, staff at Home-Start, your volunteer and the person who referred you to us. All information is treated in the strictest confidence except where a child is perceived to be at risk of harm.
How long is Home-Start needed?
Some families will need to be visited for only a few months, whilst others will need support for much longer. As long as there is a need and at least one child under five we are happy to be involved.
Home-Start Wirral aims to continuously monitor and evaluate it’s service to ensure high levels of satisfaction for families.
If you or your family has used one of our services, we would very much appreciate you taking a few moments to complete our feedback form and return it to us.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation and please click here to view and print the form.