(We’re currently recruiting for Breastfeeding Volunteers – 11/12/2016)
As a mum you’ll know just how tough it can sometimes be. Did you often long to have someone to support you through breastfeeding or just ask a few questions?
Our carefully trained volunteers, who all have experience of breastfeeding, give free emotional and guidance to help to any new mum, living in the Wirral area. By communicating with the family in their own home, at hospital, groups and over the phone, Home-Start volunteers represent a lifeline for many mums who are finding it hard to cope.
We have a ‘Breastfeeding Course of Preparation’ for new volunteers starting on Tuesday 17th January 2017, 9:30am -2:30pm, taking place at Mencap Wirral, Market Street, Birkenhead. If you have breastfed for a minimum of 3 months and are interested in helping other breastfeeding mums, then please get in touch for more information or to book a place on the course.
Having a friend can be one of the most enriching and supportive relationships in a person’s life … and it can easily be taken for granted. At Home-Start Wirral we value friendship.
There are 168 hours in a week…can you spare 3?
Will I be the right sort of person to support a breastfeeding mum?
Home-Start volunteers are all ages and from all walks of life. All that we ask of you is that you have experience of breastfeeding and can spare a few hours a week.
What will supporting a breastfeeding mum involve?
You will be offering information and support around breastfeeding during pregnancy and once baby arrives. This will be client centred support on the hospital wards, in the home and on the telephone. We will be promoting a welcoming atmosphere in the community , working alongside midwives, Health Visitors and other Health professionals as part of Wirral’s Maternity Services.
What will I gain from being a Home-Start volunteer?
- Work can be accredited by the Open College Network
- Breastfeeding Network’s Helper Course
- Unicef Baby Friendly Training
- Hospital Induction
- You will be helping a family to cope with the pressures they are facing and make a real difference to the lives of parents and their babies
- You will receive support and training to prepare you for all aspects of your role with Home-Start
- You will make new friends and have lots of fun
- You will develop new skills through ongoing monthly training, and have some wonderful experience to add to your CV
- Out of pocket expenses will be paid
I’m not a parent, can I still get involved?
Unfortunately Home-Start Wirral have a strict policy that volunteers need to have at least 3 months experience in breastfeeding.
Find out more about roles for people who are not parents here.