Family Support Volunteer
(We’re currently recruiting for Family Support Volunteers)
As a parent you’ll know just how tough it can sometimes be. Did you often long to have someone to confide in or just have a chat with?
Our carefully trained volunteers, who all have experience of bringing up children, give free emotional and practical help to any parent, with at least one child under five. By visiting a family in their own home and offering friendship, Home-Start volunteers represent a lifeline for many families who are finding it hard to cope.
Having a friend can be one of the most enriching and supportive relationships in a person’s life … and it can easily be taken for granted. At Home-Start Wirral we value friendship.
There are 168 hours in a week…can you spare 3?
Will I be the right sort of person to support a family?
Home-Start volunteers are all ages and from all walks of life. All that we ask of you is that you have experience of bringing up children and can spare between two and four hours a week.
What will visiting a family involve?
This varies. You could spend time with a young parent, helping to build their confidence as they adapt to life with a small baby, or share an outing with a family who finds getting out of the house difficult. The visits might involve offering an extra pair of hands to a family with several children or providing a listening ear to a mother who is suffering from postnatal illness.
Being a Home-Start volunteer means offering friendship to parents and spending time with families in a way that meets their needs.
What will I gain from being a Home-Start volunteer?
- Work can be accredited by the Open College Network
- You will be helping a family to cope with the pressures they are facing and make a real difference to the lives of parents and their children
- You will receive support and training to prepare you for all aspects of your role with Home-Start
- You will make new friends and have lots of fun
- You will develop new skills through ongoing monthly training, and have some wonderful experience to add to your CV
- Out of pocket expenses will be paid
Find out more about roles for people who are not parents here.